My 35 week visit was today. This was an ultrasound visit and my first pelvic exam check. While both of those things sound amazing, I must say I left both pretty much stunned. The 35 week ultrasound isn't really too clear on features so at one point I worried my child had mutated in the 10 weeks it's been since I last saw him. His profile shot looks like he already has a double chin. Then I learned...maybe that observation isn't too far off. The tech couldn't measure his entire head because he was so low. She went to measure the belly and the femur to give me a size estimate. I kid you not...she measured both twice because after the first measurement she said that can't be right. After getting the same result, it was announced that my kid measures 7 pounds 3 ounces. SEVEN POUNDS AND THREE OUNCES. Let me also refresh your memory. I still have FIVE WEEKS TO GO!!!! Stunned. My pelvic exam wasn't actually too bad. I'm one centimeter dialated, and the doctor said the baby is very low and in a great position. He did say that my chart gets a red star. The red star is the equivalent of saying, "If this lady asks for a c-section, give it to her!" In all seriousness though, he double checked to make sure I wasn't going all natural, which I am certainly not. Then he asked what my feelings were on a c-section if I carry this big boy to term. The reason he brought it up was because right now Boomer is in the 90th percentile. This means if he goes five more weeks, I will deliver at LEAST a 9.5 pound baby. Stunned. I have nothing to prove or gain by shooting a 9 pound kid out vaginally so I of course said that I would take the c-section with no problems. What is record for biggest baby in Louisiana? If he's going to be over 10 pounds, we may as well go for the record to get some publicity out of this. Never mind the fact that I'll be in a wheelchair post delivery.
In all seriousness though, I joke about how big Boomer is going to be, but he could be here tomorrow as just a normal-sized baby. I'm so blessed and so thankful that he's healthy, and I really couldn't ask for more than that. Stay tuned for more updates...he's coming soon!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment